Accessibility Options

Police complaints: A step-by-step guide

Everyone deserves to receive fair and honest treatment by the police. If you are not satisfied with your experience, you are entitled to complain. Cambridgeshire Constabulary’s complaints system is essential for helping to improve service quality and maintain the highest standards of policing.

Who can I make a complaint about?

Complaints can be made about individuals who work for the police including serving officers, members of police staff, contractors and volunteers or the service provided by the police as an organisation.

How do I make a complaint?

  • You can complete an online complaint form via:
  • Alternatively, you can write to: Cambridgeshire Constabulary Complaint Review Team, Cambridgeshire Police Headquarters, Hinchingbrooke Park, Huntingdon, PE29 6NP or email:
  • With your written permission, someone can also make a complaint on your behalf.
  • If your complaint relates to the Chief Constable, you should contact the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner (OPCC) at: or write to: OPCC Review, Compliance and Governance Officer, PO Box 688, Huntingdon, PE29 9LA

Who will deal with my complaint?

  • All complaints, other than those against the Chief Constable, will be initially handled by the Constabulary’s Complaints Review Team (CRT). Once a complaint is made, a member of CRT will look into it and will contact you to clarify any missing details.
  • Depending on the severity of the complaint and seniority of the officers or staff involved, the complaint may be referred to the Constabulary’s Professional Standards Department (PSD) for further investigation.
  • In some cases, complaints will be directed to the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) who may wish to carry out an independent investigation.

What can I expect as an outcome?

  • If you are dissatisfied with the handling of your complaint by CRT, you may request that your complaint is formally recorded and dealt with by PSD.
  • You will receive a letter to inform you of the outcome of your complaint.
  • If you are not satisfied with the outcome of a formally recorded complaint, you are entitled to request a review.
  • Reviews are carried out by the OPCC or, in serious cases, the IOPC. You will be told which body you need to apply to in your complaint outcome letter and will have 28 days to apply, or your application will not be accepted.

Where do I go for more advice?

For more information or help, visit: The Police & Crime Commissioner for Cambridgeshire | Complaints and Reviews (