Accessibility Options

Police Commissioner supports local charity to help children fleeing domestic abuse during Covid-19

PETERBOROUGH Women’s Aid are set to receive funding for equipment to support and entertain families fleeing domestic abuse during Covid-19, thanks to a grant from Acting Police and Crime Commissioner, Ray Bisby.

The charity has been awarded just under £2,000 from the Commissioner’s Youth and Community Fund to buy tablets and headphones along with writing and drawing materials so the children living within the refuge can continue to learn during lockdown.

Acting Police and Crime Commissioner, Ray Bisby, said:
“For those experiencing domestic abuse, the Covid-19 pandemic and subsequent lockdown measures can be particularly distressing. It is important to remember that there are still support services out there that can be accessed.

“I am pleased that my Fund has been able to help Peterborough Women’s Aid providing them with the practical tools to continue with this vital support.

“I’m sure parents will agree that it can be a challenge entertaining children during lockdown, this is no different for those accessing services within the refuge and the tablets can also provide a source of entertainment. This can free up some space and time for mothers at this difficult time.”
Anne Sturgess, Peterborough Women’s Aid, said:

“With this grant we will be able to expand our support to the women and their children within our refuge who are recovering from the trauma of domestic abuse.

“Those fleeing domestic abuse often must leave quickly and can only take what they can carry. Lockdown restrictions makes it incredibly difficult to access the necessary materials to stimulate and educate children should victims be unable to take them with them when they flee the family home. Peterborough Women’s Aid will be able to relieve this additional stress from women and children during what is already and incredibly painful time.”

For those who are living with domestic violence, know that you are not alone; help and support is available. A list of local services is available on the Cambridgeshire Victim Services website