Accessibility Options

Complaints about Cambridgeshire Constabulary

We want people to be safe and feel safe in the county and for the police to provide you with the best service possible. Everyone has a right to fair and honest treatment and should expect a professional service. However, sometimes things can go wrong and when this happens, we want to hear about it so that we can learn and improve.

Complaints against Cambridgeshire Constabulary are handled in two ways and by different organisations depending on the seniority of the officers concerned. It is important that you follow the right processes so that your concerns can be handled efficiently and by the right people.

Complaints against the Chief Constable

The Cambridgeshire Police and Crime Commissioner has a statutory duty to consider complaints against the most senior police officer of the Constabulary i.e. the Chief Constable.

If you wish to make a complaint against the Chief Constable please write to The Police and Crime Commissioner, at the Executive Team address or  email: Please note that Cambridgeshire Police and Crime Commissioner cannot deal with complaints made anonymously.

Other complaints against Cambridgeshire Constabulary

The Constabulary’s Professional Standards Department (PSD) is responsible for handling all complaints against officers below Chief Constable rank and all police staff as well as general complaints regarding the provision of the policing service in Cambridgeshire.

In the first instance, we would recommend that you try and take up any issue with the officer concerned and/or their line manager. Often this is the most straightforward way of resolving a matter.

If this is not possible or appropriate and you wish to make a complaint against Cambridgeshire Constabulary you can do in a number of ways by:

  • filing in the online form on the Constabulary website at (you should not use this form to report a crime);
  • writing to Cambridgeshire Constabulary, Professional Standards, Biggleswade Police Station, Station Road, Biggleswade, Bedfordshire, SG18 8AL;
  • telephoning 01234 842 538 or
  • emailing to

The Cambridgeshire Police and Crime Commissioner monitors the handling of complaints against the Constabulary. However, please note that concerns on specific individual complaints should be directed to the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC)

Complained to the Commissioner or Constabulary but still not satisfied?

For guidance, or if you are not satisfied with the response you receive about a complaint or wish to appeal against a formal decision regarding the handling or investigation you may contact the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) which oversees the police complaints system and sets the standards by which complaints should be handled. Further details of what you can complain about, together with guidance on how to make a complaint and the appropriate forms can be found at

Note – The IOPC was previously known as the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC)