Commissioner’s cadet scheme takes another step forward
September 10th, 2014
Cambridgeshire’s Police and Crime Commissioner is looking for young people between the ages of 13 and 18 to sign up to become Volunteer Police Cadets.
Sir Graham wants young people who are interested in policing and want to make a difference in their community to come forward and find out more or, even better, apply to become a Cadet.
The pilot scheme will launch at the Thomas Deacon Academy in Peterborough in the coming months and has already received significant interest from people wanting to know more about volunteering to help support its operation. The intention is to roll out the Volunteer Police Cadets Scheme to other parts of the county following evaluation of the pilot next year.
Sir Graham said: “We are forging ahead with the Scheme because I am committed to providing opportunities for young people to get involved in policing and playing their part in building safer and stronger communities.
“I am delighted that we have already reached the stage where we are asking young people to come forward and give us some of their time. They will be rewarded by an exciting opportunity that will promote a practical understanding of policing and will also count towards formal qualifications and evidencing voluntary work for the Princes Trust/ Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme.”
Aims of the Volunteer Police Cadets Scheme are:
- Encourage the spirit of adventure and good citizenship
- Inspire young people to participate positively in their communities
- Promote a practical understanding of policing among all young people
- To engage young people, including those at risk of entering the criminal justice system or being socially excluded, in activities that encourage them to develop socially and academically and make a positive contribution to the community in which they live
- Support local policing priorities through volunteering and give young people a chance to be heard
- Ultimately help build safer, stronger and more supportive communities
- It will count towards formal qualifications and evidencing voluntary work for the Princes Trust/ Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme
The Commissioner is asking for expressions of interest from young people from all over Peterborough and Cambridgeshire in preparation for rolling the Scheme out to other parts of the county.
To find out more about either becoming a volunteer supporting the operation of the Scheme, or a Cadet, click here or contact Hannah Watson, Volunteer Coordinator at the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner on 01954 713911