Commissioner seeks police cadet scheme volunteers
August 6th, 2014
Cambridgeshire’s Police and Crime Commissioner is looking for volunteers who have what it takes to inspire and encourage a young generation.
Sir Graham Bright is looking for leaders and assistant leaders to support the operation of his Volunteer Police Cadet (VPC) Scheme to assist with planning and delivering the VPC programme.
These are fun and rewarding roles allowing those willing to give up some of their time to support young people to enjoy the events and activities, growing in confidence and ability over time. No specific qualifications or experience are necessary as full training and support will be given. Experience of working with young people may be useful but is not essential.
Sir Graham said: “I am really excited about this new project which confirms my commitment to support work with young people to help keep them focused on activities that will benefit the whole community.
“I know that in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough we have lots of people with the necessary skills and desire to inspire and motivate young people. I am asking those people for a couple of hours of their time per week to do just that.”
The pilot scheme has been established in partnership with the Thomas Deacon Academy in Peterborough, which already has close links with the police through the Safer Schools Partnership.
Aims of the Scheme are:
- Encourage a spirit of adventure and good citizenship
- Inspire young people to participate positively in their communities
- Promote a practical understanding of policing among all young people
- Engage young people, including those at risk of entering the criminal justice system or being socially excluded, in activities that encourage them to develop socially and academically and make a positive contribution to the community in which they live
- Support local policing priorities through volunteering and give young people a chance to be heard
- Ultimately help build safer, stronger and more supportive communities
It will count towards formal qualifications and evidencing voluntary work for the Princes Trust/ Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme
Following evaluation, the Scheme will be rolled out to other parts of Cambridgeshire.
Contact Hannah Watson, Volunteer Co-ordinator, for more details:
Tel: 01954 713911
Or click here