Accessibility Options

Commissioner says fly tipping is ‘unacceptable’

POLICE and Crime Commissioner for Peterborough and Cambridgeshire, Darryl Preston, opened discussions on how best to tackle fly tipping in a meeting with Bryony Rothwell, Partnership Manager for The Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Waste Partnership (RECAP) and Hannah Padfield, Cambridgeshire County Advisor for National Farmers Union (NFU).

One of Darryl’s first visits as Commissioner was to meet with NFU members in Leverington to discuss the blight of fly tipping on rural communities.

“I want to be clear, fly tipping is a crime and totally unacceptable in our communities,” Darryl said. “We know that it has a significant environmental and health impact, but it is also a financial burden on law-abiding citizens and our public services.”

It can cost anywhere from £10,000 to £500,000 to clear a single site. Moreover, criminals often return to a site more than once.

In 2020 there were more than 11,000 reported incidents of illegally dumped rubbish in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough. On average that is 31 incidents every day.

“Residents and partners, such as Bryony and Hannah, have told me that fly tipping is a problem and I am listening,” Darryl continued. “I am exploring ways that agencies can all work together to tackle these issues on the ground.”

Bryony Rothwell said, “the RECAP Partnership look forward to continuing to work with Darryl Preston and other agencies to tackle fly tipping and prevent illegal waste disposal across Peterborough and Cambridgeshire.”

Hannah Padfield added, “It is a serious concern for our members. The rurality of farmers’ land makes it a prime target for fly tipping and dumps can cause a contamination risk.

“We are heartened that the Commissioner is listening to our concerns and looking at ways that partners can come together to fight fly tipping.”

Fly tipping sites can be reported through your district council website. If an individual witnesses fly tipping actively occurring, it is a crime in action and they should dial 999.