Complaints and Conduct Matters

We want people to be safe and feel safe in the county and for the police to provide you with the best service possible. Everyone has a right to fair and honest treatment and should expect a professional service. However, sometimes things can go wrong and when this happens, we want to hear about it so that we can learn and improve.

The Police and Crime Commissioner has a duty to be open, transparent and accountable.  The Commissioner has a legal responsibility to monitor all complaints made against all Cambridgeshire Constabulary officers and staff, whilst having responsibility for complaints made against the Chief Constable. The Police and Crime Panel has responsibility for handling complaints against the Commissioner or the Deputy Police and Crime Commissioner.

Complaints against Cambridgeshire Constabulary are handled in two ways by either the Commissioner or the Constabulary’s Professional Standards Department, depending on the seniority of the officers or staff concerned. It is important that you follow the right processes so that your concerns can be handled efficiently and by the right organisation.

The Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner (OPCC) feels it is essential that it handles complaints on behalf of the Commissioner appropriately to ensure that service users feel confident that their complaints are heard, considered and acted upon promptly and fairly.  The OPCC seeks to promote effective access to the complaints process and appropriate appeals mechanisms, by ensuring complainants are dealt with courteously and efficiently, with issues addressed in a timely manner in accordance with statutory processes and timeframes, with any learning captured to improve service delivery.

In order to achieve this, the Police and Crime Commissioner’s Complaints Policy:

  • Demonstrates accountability of the Commissioner to the public;
  • Promotes transparency between the Commissioner and the general public (recognising complaints processes as a form of engagement);

The Commissioner’s Complaints Policy is available at the bottom of this page.

Complaints about Cambridgeshire Constabulary

The Constabulary’s Professional Standards Department (PSD) is responsible for handling all complaints against officers below the rank of Chief Constable and all police staff, as well as general complaints regarding the provision of the policing service in Cambridgeshire.

In the first instance, we would recommend that you try and take up any issue with the officer concerned and/or their line manager. Often this is the most straightforward way of resolving a matter.

If this is not possible or appropriate and you wish to make a complaint against Cambridgeshire Constabulary you can do in a number of ways by:

  • filling in the online form on the Constabulary website at (you should not use this form to report a crime);
  • writing to Cambridgeshire Constabulary, Professional Standards, Biggleswade Police Station, Station Road, Biggleswade, Bedfordshire, SG18 8AL;
  • telephoning 01234 842 538 or
  • emailing to

The Cambridgeshire Police and Crime Commissioner monitors the handling of complaints against the Constabulary. However, please note that concerns on specific individual complaints should be directed to the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC)

Complaints against the Chief Constable

The Cambridgeshire Police and Crime Commissioner has a statutory duty to consider complaints against the most senior police officer of the Constabulary i.e. the Chief Constable.

If you wish to make a complaint against the Chief Constable please write to The Police and Crime Commissioner, at PO Box 688, Huntingdon, PE29 9LA, or email: Please note that Cambridgeshire Police and Crime Commissioner cannot deal with complaints made anonymously.

Complaints against the Police and Crime Commissioner and or Deputy Commissioner

The Cambridgeshire Police and Crime Panel are responsible for considering complaints made against the Police and Crime Commissioner.  The Panel has delegated certain responsibilities for complaint handling to the Commissioner’s Chief Executive and Monitoring Officer, please contact:

Dr Dorothy Gregson Chief Executive

Office of the Cambridgeshire Police and Crime Commissioner PO Box 688

Huntingdon PE29 9LA

By email:

A copy of the Panel’s Complaint Procedure can be found on the Panel’s website, which is hosted by Peterborough City Council.

A record of complaints made against the Police and Crime Commissioner or the Deputy Police and Crime Commissioner is given at the bottom of this page.

Complained to the Commissioner or the Constabulary but still not satisfied?

For guidance, or if you are not satisfied with the response you receive about a complaint or wish to appeal against a formal decision regarding the handling or investigation we will make it clear who is the correct organisation to appeal to. However, you may contact the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) which oversees the police complaints system and sets the standards by which complaints should be handled. Further details of what you can complain about, together with guidance on how to make a complaint and the appropriate forms can be found at

Note – The IOPC was previously known as the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC)